Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Power of Caps

I'm forging ahead, even as Jane is crying in the next room, refusing to go to sleep (which usually derails me), even though I'm still not sure what this last section is going to look like, even though the more I write, the shorter my paper gets, I keep going. How? The Power of Caps.

Yes, there is great power in provisional writing. For me, I tap on the caps lock and write. That way I know that I will surely see my stupidity and note to myself as I read through to revise. And it's strangely liberating. I've written a whole paragraph in caps before only to realize later that the prose is actually pretty perfect. Writing in caps turns off the internal editor for a minute so I can just get out what I'm trying to say. The Power of Caps will prevail...

No comments:

Post a Comment