Monday, June 29, 2009

Update

So, I've had a lot of ups and downs lately. I've realized once again (which I've always known) that doing too much of one thing = unhappy me. I feel the pressure of getting a draft out really soon before surgery and that makes me not want to do anything but work on my paper, which is both unrealistic and counter productive. In my obsession to get a draft out, I've really made myself miserable and haven't taken the time to enjoy being in Idaho. So Thursday last week I decided to knock it off. I am close to having something that I can send to others for evaluation, but my brain was so fried and I was so sad, I decided rather than keep a deadline for the deadline's sake, to decide to develop positive work patterns (and strategies for doing things I don't like ;-)

Here is what I have figured out about work habits for me:
I get a lot done in 2 hours. And I usually need a bit of a break after those 2 hours. I can get two productive sessions of 2 hours each a day and occasionally 3 sessions, but not every day.

I do better work in the morning first thing OR after I've had a chance to plan my day and know what else is on my plate and check my email, and take care of everything. Which means, the best times for me to work (at least mentally), are first thing (but I have to get started before Jane wakes up, so like 5:00 am), during Jane's nap (if she takes a nap...), late afternoon (3:00ish) or like 7:00pm after Jane is in bed, dinner is over and cleaned up (if I'm not too exhausted). So, go ahead and ask me how getting up at 5:00 am is going...;-)

After 4 four hour days, I need a break. I was thinking that this was just my own lack of motivation and deep desire not to write this thing, but it's been so consistent and I've had so much more energy and positive feelings at the first of the week after a good break, that I've decided it's reality. I'm wondering if I could maybe fit in a small session during the weekend, like if I work M-Th, and maybe Friday morning, take a break and then maybe look at it Saturday, make a plan, and then forget about it again until Monday. I don't know.

I need to be busier to be more productive. If it's the only thing on my plate, I get depressed quickly and find ways to avoid it (like my dad is with vegetables. Or salads). But if I've got some people to see, projects to work on, I make that time work better and I'm more focused and motivated. Go figure. See, that whole "be anxiously engaged in many things" is REALLY true.

Umm...I think there are more, but I need to hunker down and get to work now.

No comments:

Post a Comment